Monday, November 4, 2013

Human Adaptation



Most mornings, when I wake up, I make a choice. Before I have had a chance to do anything, I try to think of the exact feeling I want to have by the end of that day. Will I choose to feel accomplished? What way have I chosen to define my accomplishments?  Or, do I choose to have an anxiety ridden filled day with tons of errands, and a shitty attitude? Those choices are the first and only choices I have to ponder when I open my eyes to a new dawn.

To me, a new day is a personal gift, one that I {try to} appreciate each morning. I, on most days {because we all have our off days}, pick to feel good about myself, to share with my neighbors in this world, and to pay attention to my surroundings. 

I now choose to pass up anything negative that may lay ahead of me. I do my best to look forward to certain things, and that especially goes for when I have a lot of work to do in hours time. Giving myself mini goals throughout the day helps, with little intensives of course.

But someday's are sadly, not satisfactory days, and those are the days I learn the most from. Maybe not right away, but eventually. For example- finding my way of out of routine, and being comfortable with switching it up. 

One thing I have learned is that humans, the super animals we are, we have learned to adapt. After all, we have had to adapt many times. Over the course of 4.2 Billions years, we have evolved our brains to of live in the now, and not just surviving in the now.

The human brain changes to how the body functions, to the environment in which your surrounded, and above anything else, it shapes its ridges when there the effort is being poured into improving yourself.

{{{{This clip is about Adaptability. Positive Outlook & Moving forward. }}}}




Because humans are so good at adapting, it can be hard for me to peel myself away from a routine that I enjoyed. Enjoyed meaning, no longer, but used to. It's gets hard for me when something ends, because most of the time I don't choose to do things that I won't enjoy. I try to accept that certain fulfillment that used to boast inside me, no longer does so. Its like letting go of someone you love, and remembering the good things about them. Once I take that final step in the acceptance of letting go of something, or even someone, I will find that space is open up for more enjoyable opportunities.

When I notice myself getting into a pattern, I usually take the high road and run from it. Right now, those are some aspects that I am struggling with. It's the simple things that are easy to change, like switching up the walk to and from a certain place. 

Sometimes I am not sure if its because of the commitment issues I have struggled with for most of my life. Now don't confuse commitment, with loyalty, or honesty. When I say commitment, I mean routine. 

I absolutely try to follow no routine. The problem with this is, I can fall into routine as easily as crisp colorful leaves on a windy Hallows Eve. If I really enjoy whatever "it" is, it can be hard for me to imagine my life without. This could be a routine of writing all day, spending all my time with one person, or even spending too much alone time in one day. 

 Usually, when people enjoy something, they like to incorporate it into their daily existence. Anyone that creates that euphoric element into their lives, shouldn't shoo it away if it continues to be enjoyable. When I do get some sort of routine going on in my life, it is a big deal. I try to stay away from it because once I get into routine, I become bored, and life isn't as vibrant, and I don't feel so ALIVE anymore.




But isn't that what life is about? Finding out what you like more of, and what you can do less of? What makes your heart flutter, or what puts your stomach in knots?

I struggle to maintain a brave face for the world. I know what I do want, right now, but its the unknown path ahead that lay ahead which I scarcely dread. Facing what the unknown is, IS scary. That's is why facing whatever I am scared of pushes me to understand myself more. 

What I want now, is not something I will want in 10 years. Whatever goal I have in my mind now, is something I want to say I did 10 years from now. Its that famous saying I hear a lot in my life,  "I wish I were young again" that keeps me motivated to keep doing things while I am still young. When I am older, I only hope to have had plenty experiences I will have learned from, to find out the meaning of my life, and to have become sagacious from all experiences. 

For most of my life, and this whole year especially, I have come to realize that I love my freedom. I don't have another living thing to take care of but myself. I think this stage I am in, has been a crucial learning curve. I have been thankful for all the beautiful moments it has been bringing me. 


"We think much less than what we know. We know much less than what we love. We love much less than what there is. And to this precise extent, we are much less than what we are.~R.D. Laing"

My current Struggle....?

Having all that freedom for myself? Well, that has become routine..... 

And in times like now, when I need to switch things up, but not sure how do so... that is where my gears start moving from the unknown, and I start to get into a rhythm of improvement. I have not a clue where it will go, but I know whatever it may be, if I try to stay optimistic about it, good things will happen. 

I used to wake up to noisy, obnoxious alarm clock. The one that most people like to push snooze on, over and over, like myself. I use to be that person who would have to get up, and use all of that energy I had collected overnight, on some factory job. 

 Throughout all the corporate jobs I have had over the years, I would come back to the same thought process, trying to move ahead in my own life, but not gain fulfillment in it, all because I was wiped out from the day job that I had subjected myself to. 

Waking up to that depressing thought of not having enough of time and energy to improve myself was mind altering. I didn't want to wake up to yet, another day, of no self improvement. At the time when I quit my last job, I didn't have an answer to why I did it, but I had a sick feeling about going in one more day. It was one more day I was giving up on myself. I had come to realize that an alarm clock was the worst type of way to wake up, and once I had realized that, good things started falling into place. I have learned a lot about myself from that experience and I only want to learn even more. Soon after I changed that routine, I started to wake up to my ambitions instead.

What kind of accomplishments do you have for yourself? Will you switch out of your routine, to feel a bit more alive today?

No comments:

Post a Comment