Sunday, September 1, 2013

Chuck Manley

So bold that you would second guess if that’s his real given name. Chuck is one in a million. He stands out in every crowd, and tries to enjoy every minute of his life. He doesn't live his life for anybody but himself. He doesn't care what other people think about him, because chances are, he is going to be on another adventure before judgment calls are made.

A few things I have observed in my experience with spending some time with Chuck consists of the following. He is giving, passionate, outgoing, outspoken, and most of all respectful. His dreams are alive, and he doesn't let them fall into a coma to rest away. He uses the words “discovery and wonderment”, and they suite him perfectly.


I ran into Chuck on the corner of Pike and 4th, where he was hanging out, talking to all kinds of people in the midst of my passing. I noticed his camera and had to jump into a conversation with this guy. His character was beyond me. He had a sense of excitement, and seemed to be having fun in his own company, but also was able to charm others into smiling and giving him high fives.

Chuck used to be an EMT, saving lives, and seeing some lost. He found that the career as a paramedic took too much of an emotional strain, some bare heart wrenching moments, in some blessed ways, and sometimes in unfortunate ways. Tired of the same routine every day, Chuck wanted more out of his life. He wanted to venture to any place he could, and would without a doubt, find a way to get there. Chuck is on year 4 of his life adventuring and still has every sense of passion he did when he started. He has found people that have inspired him, and he has done the same to countless others while on his journey.

When I think of vacation mode, I think about when people enjoy the beauty in other people’s conversation and company, but also can be spending time alone in deep thought. When who knows what is going to happen next, but the hopes are on full throttle and nobody can get in the way of all the excitement. Chuck happens to live every single day of his life with this same mentality. You give and you get. You share, inspire and connect when you’re around Chuck Manley.


Whenever somebody would ask for spare change, Chuck never hesitated to check his pockets, and would gladly give to that stranger. I thought very highly of him when I would see this. From a guy who is used to traveling, hitchhiking and making it with only the things he can carry on his back, he would still be giving.

Chucks look on life is a lot different than most people I have ever met. When we were on the conversation about how most people set their goal to save a certain amount of money, he has some different views in mind that I never had put into perspective before. To save money to him is like holding onto something that is going to inevitably disappear.


Whenever somebody is taking life too seriously, I feel like Chuck would be the superman to somebody's soul. He is a reminder to everyone, that life is about having fun, laughing, loving, learning and growing. 

Chuck is the worldliest person I have ever met. He has been to Burning man (One for my bucket list), and plans to go again this year. He went to the National Rainbow gathering in Montana, and got there on a veggie oil powered bus. He lived in Guatemala, and traveled to Calgary Alberta. He flew to Central America to learn to scuba dive, and then went to Mexico for an end of the Mayan calendar. Amongst all these places, he and I were lucky enough to cross each other’s paths in Seattle. What an inspiration to MY life.

 (Chucks Favorite Picture of all time)

Hopefully one day I will be able to enjoy Chuck’s company once more, or hopefully multiple times more. His views in life are something I take into my heart and mind, they make me think, make me wonder, and make me want to explore and adventure even more than I thought was possible.

Chuck Manley. You are an inspiration to my heart, mind and soul.


“I thought about how far I had come on this journey. I thought about every ride, every person, every city, every night of sleep, and every day of life that I got to experience since June 1st when I had set off to go discover answers to things I didn't have the words to question. I thought about how a year prior I was hoping for moments like this. At points in my life I had only dreamt of things like this being possible.
I stood there smiling about how proud of myself I was that I actually did it. I made some incredibly bold choices that got me to the point of standing the highest I had ever been on Earth waiting for a unknown person to give me a ride. I got so excited I wanted to yell as loud as I could. I knew nobody could judge me because everyone around me would be in my life for such a short period of time that their existence didn't matter. So neither would their judgement.”
-Chuck Manley








Want to know more about Chuck Manley? Check out his website!




He lives to capture outstanding moments in life, through his photography and writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment